We're excited to welcome back Heather of Littlest Pretty Things, to show us how she makes these adorable bias trimmed baby bibs. Take it away Heather!
Now that we've made our own bias tape, it's time to attach it! We're going to make a sweet little bib with a bias tape tie closure. Instead of lining the bib we're going to make it wipeable by using iron-on vinyl coating – let's get started.
First head download the free bib pattern here. Then gather your materials:
1. Main fabric (fat quarter is more than enough)
2. Bias tape (about 2 yards – you can get 2 bibs-worth from a fat quarter)
3. Iron on vinyl
4. Bib pattern
After making sure you iron your fabric really, really, really well – follow the instructions from the iron-on vinyl and adhere to your fabric. You can do this before cutting the bib if you find that to be easier.
Attach the bias tape according to the diagram above – neckline first, outside second. Here's how:
1. Align the raw edge of the bias tape with the wrong side of the bib and pin in place.
2. Sew the bias tape to the bib using the fold line as a guide.
3. Fold the bias tape around the raw edge and top stitch it down close to the edge. Go slow, especially around the curves.
• Start section "2" by pinning the exact center of the bias tape length to the bottom center of the bib.
• About 10" is a good length for the ties.
I made two bibs with different width bias bindings. The pink foxy bib is trimmed in ¼" double folded bias tape and the blue woodland creature bib is trimmed in ½" double folded bias tape.
You have so many options with this bib. You could skip the vinyl coating and line with a flannel or terry. You could create a pocket and attach to the bottom to catch drips and spills. It makes a perfect gift for moms-to-be – or make a bunch for your own messy little one!
Thanks Heather for sharing this ADORABLE baby bib pattern and tutorial. Check out Heather's Blog: Littlest Pretty Things for lots of cute pictures, tutorials and more!
Featured Fabric: Lovely Fox trimmed in Pretty Floral from Yay Day Collection by Emily Isabella, shipping now.
Retail shops can place orders and inquiries to us at firstname.lastname@example.org